Thursday, October 24, 2013

Vegetable Curry Butternut Soup

http://nutrition-is-medicine.blogspot.ca/2013/10/vegetable-curry-butternut-soup.html
I've been really into the curry soups lately, but I think this one is my favorite. Its just the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. I like squash soups, but I also like to make sure there is a good variety of vegetables in my soup, so I upped the vegetable content with some carrot, pepper, and leek (you could put a lot of other things in here too).


Ingredients:
  • 1-2 butternut squashes (about 6lbs total), chopped and steamed
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 large carrot (or 2 medium), chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 leek, chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp curry spice (see picture below of the exact kind I used)
  • 2 tbsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • small piece of ginger
  • 3 cups water (I used the water I used to steam the squash)
  • Meat option: 1-2 shredded chicken breasts
 

Peel, de-seed, and chop up butternut squash. If you aren't sure how to do this, check out this awesome how-to. Steam the chopped squash for 20-30 minutes or until soft. Make sure it is fairly soft as it won't puree properly if its not. While the squash is steaming, put a pan on low-med heat, melt the coconut oil in and then add in the chopped onions. It doesn't matter how well any of these things are chopped because you will be pureeing everything after. Once onions have softened, throw in carrot, leek, ginger, and garlic, cook until the carrot has softened and then add the red pepper. Cook for another few more minutes until everything is pretty soft (but try to take it off before it gets too mushy). I put a lid over the pan when I cooked these to keep in the moisture. 
 




This is the type of curry spice I have been using.. no its not organic, but it seems to be only spices and its got a pretty good kick to it.
Transfer pan contents, and however much of the butternut squash that will fit into food processor with 1c water. I used the water I used for steaming the butternut squash because I like to try and keep as much nutrients in the dish as possible. Puree until everything is smooth, and transfer into a large soup pot. Transfer remaining steamed butternut squash with another cup of water into processor and puree, adding to pot when finished. I choose to puree everything before adding the spices because turmeric can stain the processor yellow. Put the soup pot on low-med heat and add last cup of water to soup pot along with coconut milk and spices. The consistency of this soup should be thick but still fluid (so it doesn't burn when heated). If it is too thick you can add more water to desired consistency. You could also add 1-2 chicken breasts to this recipe for a super delicious chicken curry soup. Bring to a boil, turn down heat, and its ready to serve!

This is seriously the perfect meal for these ever-colder autumn days. I love my soups, and I hope you like this one too!

Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment