Saturday, October 19, 2013

Gravy

 


I’ve been wanting to try the herb gravy recipe from Elana’s pantry for a while.  I love that it’s thickened with pureed onions and garlic instead of a grain or something from my old Chem 1A class (e.g. xantham gum).  Tonight I adapted her recipe and used what I had in my pantry.  I’m sorry but I don’t have homemade stock or organic turkey pan drippings just lying around. Good for you, Paleo Martha Stewart, if you do. 
Here’s what I assembled:
  • 1 quart of Trader Joe’s organic low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 large onion, roughly chopped (next time, I will use 2 like she suggests in her recipe)
  • 1/2 tsp of dried thyme (or a few good shakes of Fines Herbes seasoning)
  • 2 tablespoons of Kerrygold unsalted butter (or pan drippings)
  • 6-8 cloves of peeled garlic (I love garlic and that’s how many come pre-peeled in a little pack)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos
  • A splash of heavy cream (optional)
image
I dumped the onions, garlic, broth, and thyme into a medium saucepan and brought it to a boil on high.  Then, I lowered the heat to low and let it simmer for ~30 minutes or until the onions and garlic are really soft. At this point I tasted for seasonings and added salt, pepper, and coconut aminos.

Then, I poured everything into my Vitamix (most AWESOME blender ever), added 2 tablespoons of butter (or pan drippings), and blitzed everything until it was uniform.  You can also add some heavy cream if you want a creamy gravy. Definitely, use 2 or more onions because my sauce was pretty thin.  It was really tasty (even with pantry items) so I’m keeping a container in the fridge to ladle onto whatever other meats/veggies I eat the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment