Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Baked Mustard Lime Chicken

http://www.elanaspantry.com/baked-mustard-lime-chicken/


baked mustard lime chicken recipe
Serve tangy Mustard Lime Chicken for dinner with a side of asparagus, or any other healthy green vegetable.

I’m always on the lookout for quick and easy recipes for chicken breast, so I was mighty happy when a reader left this comment on my post for grilled Mustard Lime Chicken:
Fantastic chicken! Our son was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease about one month ago, and I have to tell you that your recipes have been such a help. We all loved the chicken, and I ended up baking it at 350 until it was cooked (25-30 minutes) since it rained the day I made it and couldn’t use the grill- flavor was still excellent! Thank you!
-Ana
This recipe for chicken breast is full of flavorful lime and cilantro, and when you bake it (rather than grilling) the flavors have a chance to entirely infuse the dish. Thanks for this excellent suggestion Ana!
I don’t know if your children will like this easy chicken dish; I can tell you that mine gobble it up every time I make it. If you’re looking for healthy recipes for dinner, look no further, this chicken is it.

Baked Mustard Lime Chicken

printer friendly
  • 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast
  • ½ cup fresh lime juice
  • ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • ¼ cup dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  1. Combine lime juice, cilantro, mustard, olive oil, chili, salt and pepper in a food processor
  2. Pulse until ingredients are well combined
  3. Rinse chicken breasts, pat dry and place in a 7 x 11 inch baking dish
  4. Pour marinade over chicken, cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 6 hours
  5. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes uncovered, or until an instant read thermometer reads 165°
  6. Serve with extra sauce spooned over top
Serves 4
Healthy chicken recipes are a dinnertime staple in our house. Some of my other favorites include:

On another note, spring is here. It is 70 degrees today in Boulder and my garden is exploding with color (and flavor). The rhubarb plants are coming up, bulbs are blooming and the lettuce and kale in my cold frame are going wild.
I’m thinking of making a Paleo strawberry rhubarb crisp for Easter this year. Are you getting in the spring mood? If so, what do you like to cook when it gets warmer outside?
Posted on March 15, 2012 in chicken and dinners


You might also enjoy:



email newsletter

join over 40,000 subscribers and get recipes delivered to your inbox!




53 comments leave a comment

  1.  
  2. I saw this in my email today and made it for our dinner tonight! It was fantastic! I didn’t have chicken breasts, so I used thighs. I also didn’t have cilantro…but that’s okay because I’m not the biggest fan. I used Penzey’s Chili 9000 powder. What a superb recipe! I’ll definitely be making this again! Thanks!
  3. Dawna
    Wow! I never thought about doing this on the grill!
    I make almost the same recipe with smaller marinade proportions (with the addition of a few shakes of spicy “Mrs. Dash) as a chicken breast & asparagus stir fry at least once a week as a quick & easy lunch!
    Cut fresh thinner asparagus stalks into one inch chunks, toss into a small non-stick skillet with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water. “Rapid simmer” until water is almost gone & asparagus approaches bright green, usually about 4 minutes. Add to pan the sliced raw chicken breast, stirring until almost done. Skip the food processor (one less thing to wash), and add the rest of the ingredients into the pan. Stir until chicken has finished cooking. Sauce will be heated through & bubbly.
    Adding 1/3 to 1/2 cup of fresh diced tomatoes at the same time as the sauce ingredients takes it to another delicious level. The tomatoes soften just enough to release their juice, but retain their form. I’ve also found, depending on the Dijon mustard (I’m a Maille fan) I can skip the salt.
    Can’t wait to try this on the grill this weekend.
  4. HomeCookedHealthy @ homecookedhealthy.com
    This recipe sounds fantastic! Love the ease of making the chicken plus the punch of mustard and lime together will be great. What a good idea. This would be SO good shredded and placed on my simple taco salad instead of beef – YUM!
    Also working on Easter dishes. Like the idea of the crisp too – these are always a winner at my house. I’m working on an organic, gluten-free & sugar-free carrot cake (or cupcakes). These have been a big hit and can’t wait to share them. Angela
  5. Pamela Peterson @ inkspiring19.com
    I just bought all these ingredients for a crockpot dish. but this sounds much better. Just found your blog and signed up to follow it because I am intrested in the paleo diet. Also I have some gluten free recipes you might be intrested like Coconut Mocha Blackbean Brownies at inkspiring19.com.
  6. Debbie
    What kind of chili powder do you use? This looks great! Why don’t you use sorghum flour? (Very new to this, have been SCD and just wanted to try something other than almond flour).
    • Lisa Stafford @ lisastafford.net
      Elana used to be SCD in the beginning and got well. She likes almond flour because it is lower on the glycemic index than other gluten free flours and is starch free and Paleo.
      We were on SCD for 6 months and found Elana during that time. I love her recipes. When they call for Agave, Honey may be easily substituted.
  7. This looks really good. Thank you for posting it. We are having a cookout tomorrow so I will be throwing these on the grill. Yum!
  8. Laura Dwight
    Just a word of caution on the chili powder. Our version of this dish was inedibly hot due to the hotness of our chili powder, but we could tell the recipe had the potential to be delicious. If your chili powder is particularly hot, use 1 tsp, not a tablespoon!
  9. Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com @ healthymamainfo.com
    Sounds good, but since I and my family are vegetarians I’ll have to substitute chicken with tofu. Hopefully it’ll taste great also.
  10. Wendy Bussell
    Oh my goodness! This is such a great idea. That is the way to impart flavor in my book.
    As it warms up here in North Texas I find myself not wanting to cook at all. Or if I do, I try to get it fixed up in the morning hours then we eat a cold or warmed up supper. Which is good on many counts as the bulk of the dishes are already done as well. But as for what we eat in a pinch…salads, breads, cheeses. Maybe eggs and bacon. Almost anything that can get fixed without turning on the oven. Just found Realfoodforager.com and will be making their scd friendly matzo. Yay! They will go great with salads.
  11. Ana
    This is marinating in my fridge as I type. And I want to say thank you so much for helping me eat healthier. I made your Gluten free candy bars and took them as a dessert to a friends going away party and they were a hit. I made my first paleo thanksgiving this year and have been trying to eat Paleo and healthier. I am more aware because of you and your website. THANK YOU ELANA xoxo!
  12. Lisa Stafford @ lisastafford.net
    I made this for my family for lunch today after letting it marinade in the fridge for several hours. The chicken was so moist and the flavors so intense. My family ate it and I really loved it. Thank you. It turns out well using chicken on the bone with skin!
  13. Chrissy
    A Paleo strawberry rhubarb crisp sounds incredible! I love rhubarb pie! Once I get some cilantro, I’m def making this chicken.
  14. Kathleen
    Tried this Saturday night and it’s fabulous!
    I’ve been making meals for my elderly in-laws. Last night I gave them the marinade in one bag and chicken in another with directions to combine in a glass baking dish plus your marinating/baking instructions. They were able to enjoy that yummy citrusy smell as it baked.
  15. AnnieBee
    I made this tonight and it was super yummy.
    I used my immersion blender, rather than a food processor.
    This made it quick and made the clean-up quick!
    Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes!
  16. Laura C
    Elana- I just watched an amazing video on gluten that blows away all the old misconceptions that gluten is just in wheat, rye and barley. Totally supports a grain free diet for gluten sensitive people. I have been GF for years and found out a ton of information I did not know. Here is the link since I think you and your loyal (and intelligent) readers will find this fascinating. (I have no connection to the site – just loved it.)
    http://www.orthomolecularproducts.com/MediaCenter.aspx?cid=1fbbe134-62d2-49c0-af16-833740afe25e
  17. That looks absolutely delish – this is going on my “cook soon” list. I love Chicken … a real plate licker! :)
  18. Glenda
    My husband is allergic to Cilantro. What. Can I use Instead
  19. Sinead @ None
    I can’t find Cilantro in my local stores (in Ireland). Wondering would you recommend any other alternative?
    Thanks :)
  20. Lindsey
    I made this for dinner last night, and it was fantastic! The chicken was so moist, and the recipe couldn’t have been easier to follow. Thank you! And thank you for such a wonderful site!
  21. Tonya
    I was disappointed with this dish. The flavors seemed unbalanced…way too much lime in my opinion. I even pulled the recipe up after we finished eating to see if perhaps i had accidentally misread it and added too much lime juice.
  22. Abigail Brown
    I used this also with pork and loved it
  23. Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet @ snappygourmet.com
    Looks like an easy and delicious meal! Yum!
  24. daniela
    i love everything about your recipes. This dish was amazing and I can’t wait to make it again. I just wish the recipes would say how many caloris per serving it has.
  25. Mookaitflame
    This is a favorite of mine and tonight I marinated salmon. It was just delicious. Because the lime juice “cooks” the fish I only marinated it for under an hour.
    Add the lime juice a little at a time to the rest of the ingredients and taste as you go. I loved it, but my fish had a strong citrus flavour.
  26. Carla @ Gluten Free Recipe Box @ glutenfreerecipebox.com
    This is a must cook! The sauce looks a bit creamy, therefore, I kept searching the ingredients list for a starch, flour, or thickener of some sort, and found none. I’m allergic to citrus, but perhaps I can use a bit of vinegar and a sweetener of some sort. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful recipe, Elena!
  27. Tara
    I wanted to let the folks with a citrus allergy know about some substitutes we use in our home – tamarind or sourkraut! For this recipe I blended up some sourkraut and it’s liquid and it came out really great! We also omitted the chili pepper as my son is very sensitive to nightshades. Thanks for your wonderful recipes and blog Elena!
  28. Susan
    When I first made the marinade and tasted it..wow was it strong! Is that normal? Does the bitterness flavor die down a bit once it bakes ?
  29. shannon tanner
    This was delicious – I made it last night and got rave reviews. Thanks for the great recipe.
  30. Jess
    INCREDIBLE!!!
    I made this with lemon instead, and added more cilantro. It was soooooo tasty! I think the leftovers (cooked extra on purpose) will be even better after the flavors mingle a little and really bond with the chicken. Thank you!
  31. Blakeley
    My whole family loved this chicken last night. My 3 year old usually avoids meat and she devoured it. I will be putting this into a regular rotation for dinner. Thanks!
  32. amy
    ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!!!!!! My kids chowed down. Wonderful flavor.
  33. heather
    for me, this was just way too tart. way too much lime, in my opinion. i ended up having to dump half a bottle of honey into the marinade to balance the flavors and it ended up tasting pretty okay after that!
  34. a
    Some limes have a lot stronger flavour than others, this may have been the case with yours :-)
  35. Susan grout
    Fabulous website and recipes! Literally saved my life! Had severe candida infection. Changed my diet and am a new person! God bless!
  36. Shannon
    We tried this tonight. It was pretty good. We would definetly make this again with no changes to the recipe. I would love to see more paleo or low carb recipes. Thanks fo all the other healthy and taste options on your blog too.
  37. kelly
    For those who have tried this recipe, I’m wondering if it is spicy? I have a sensitive stomach and always shy away from recipes with Chile powder. Would leaving that ingredient out make the chicken too bland? Any thoughts appreciated :)
  38. Christie
    This recipe was AMAZING!!
  39. Kelly D.
    OMW – YUM! I made this tonight and it was AWESOME! My husband LOVED it and asked that I make sure to keep this recipe on hand. My 4 year old liked it too. No leftovers at this house! I didn’t have enough lime juice for the 1/2 cup so I used what I did have and added lemon juice. I only used 1 Tsp of chili powder which I could still taste without it being hot. I just mixed it all with a spoon instead of dirtying my food processor. Served with broccoli and cauliflower. Thanks for the great recipe!
  40. Jen Mason
    Ok Elana, you rock! I just discover your website and tried this chicken dish. It was so tasty, juicy and easy to make. My 7 yr old told me if I entered a chicken cooking competition I would win! LOL Needless to say I will be making this dish again and again. I served it with your recipe for mashed cauliflower which was also a big hit! Thanks again!
  41. Laura
    This chicken was so good!!! I used smoked paprika for the chili powder and it gave it a smoky flavor that was delicious. I also grilled my chicken on the BBQ since my apt was 90 degrees today and I didn’t want to turn on the oven. I marinated my chicken for 30 minutes and next time I will marinate it overnight. :)
    Thank you for the super yummy recipe!!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment