Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Green Chili Chicken and "Rice"

adapted from her recipe:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/mexican-chicken-and-rice/

mexican chicken and "rice"
This may be one of the worst food photos I’ve ever taken, however, this gluten free, grain free chicken and ”rice” dish is packed with protein and spicy Mexican flavor.  It’s not so easy to take pictures of brown stuff; I could say more, however, I won’t go on; let’s just leave it at that.
Since I don’t eat grains, this faux rice is a real treat for me.  My husband liked it too.

Mexican Chicken and Rice

  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 garlic, grated
  • 1 cup celery, finely diced
  • 1 head cauliflower, trimmed
  • 2 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, grilled and diced into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
  • ground cumin, oregano and chili powder to taste
  • 1 avocado
  • salsa, if desired
  1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat
  2. Saute onion over medium heat for 10 minutes, until soft
  3. Add celery to skillet and saute for 5 minutes
  4. Place cauliflower in a food processor with the “S” blade and process until the texture of rice
  5. Add cauliflower to skillet, cover and cook 5-10 minutes, until soft
  6. Mix chilies and chicken into skillet
  7. Stir in salt, cumin, oregano and chili powder
  8. Serve, topping with avocado, cheese and salsa if desired
 
The idea for this Mexican Chicken and Rice came off of a low carb yahoo group in which I participate.  That recipe was shared by a user named “glassmurf.”  Her version used frozen cauliflower, 6 chicken breasts, plus cheese and tomato sauce, so as you can see, I took her basic idea and “Elanafied” it into something that would work for me and my family.  Thank you glassmurf for your excellent inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment