Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sweet Potato Falafel

 

serve with a garlicky mayo for extra deliciousness
serve with a garlicky mayo for extra deliciousness
Hubs recently had to return to his native Canada for business.
As I bid him a teary goodbye, I said: ‘Are you going to have falafel?”
“I dunno,” he said. “Probably.”
And I wept a little inside as I watched him board his plane, thinking of all the falafel he’d have without me.
it's good as a mash too
it’s good as a mash too
The first time Hubs introduced me to his native Toronto was a wonderful trip in many ways. Not least was the time we went to a shwarma place (the city seems to be crawling with them) and I got my first taste of the good stuff.
Since then it’s been a bit of a tradition to get our falafel fix every time we’re in the city.
to mix it up, swop out the coriander for parsley
to mix it up, swop out the coriander for parsley
Determined not to be left out this time, I decided to make a paleo-friendly version in my own kitchen…using sweet potato (which worked out well cos Hubs loathes sweet potatoes).
These are basically fried potato cakes with a little bit of special seasoning to give them that falafel flavour.
Yes, they’re not the real thing, but I think they are good enough to stand alone and be judged on their own merits.
Sweet Potato Falafel (makes 5)
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 spring/green onions, chopped finely
  • 1 tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro leaf, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp coconut flour, sieved
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 red chili, de-seeded and finely sliced (keep the seeds if you like your falafel spicy)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  1. Place the sweet potato in a pot of water. Cover, bring to a boil and let simmer for 25-30 minutes until soft.
  2. Drain the potato, season well and mash vigorously to a smooth mash.
  3. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
  4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Scoop a generous tbsp of the mash and form into a patty shape. Place in the frying pan and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown. Repeat until the mash is used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment